In 2006, the RRO (Regulatory Reform Order) for fire safety made it a legal responsibility for businesses to have a fire risk assessment. The order is designed to provide a minimum fire safety standard in all non-domestic premises.
The order states that in order to maintain fire safety standards a company must appoint a Responsible Individual (RI). In circumstances whereby the company has multiple locations or departments there may be a requirement for several RI’s but there will always be one person with overall responsibility for maintaining fire safety procedures.
The RI, or person(s) acting on their behalf, are required to carry out certain fire safety duties which include ensuring the general fire precautions are satisfactory and conducting a fire risk assessment. If more than five persons are employed it has to be a written assessment.
If you employ 5 people or more, you are required by law to have a written fire risk assessment for your business. This should be carried out by a competent person who can ensure that all legislation requirements are fulfilled.
Failure to comply with these laws could result in the prosecution of whoever is appointed to handle fire safety in your business.
What does a Fire Risk Assessment involve?
- Identifying any potential fire hazards including combustible materials, sources of heat, unsafe practices and potentially dangerous conditions.
- Identifying any particular locations or individuals at risk.
- Reducing risk. This can be achieved by removal or separation; and by putting measures in place to encourage a culture of risk prevention.
- Evaluating the level of risk (either low, medium or high).
- Deciding if the current systems are adequate. This includes fire detection, fire alarms, escape routes, signage and fire fighting equipment e.g. extinguishers.
How can Tecserv Help?
Whether you are a new business looking to establish its first fire safety policies and systems, or an established business seeking a new provider, Tecserv can help with all aspects of fire prevention and risk assessment. We can help you:
- Develop and further improve your fire risk assessment procedures,
- Appoint and train RI’s
- Provide ongoing fire safety training to ensure you satisfy the RRO reform and all current legislation.
We can also provide leak detection assistance to identify weaknesses in gas lines or other utilities or water irrigation piping that will impact on your fire prevention procedures.
Working with Tecserv means that your business is legally compliant at all times and has access to the support of highly trained experts who are all dedicated to delivering a quality service.
Our experienced team can be called out 24/7, 365 days a year to provide help and support with fire prevention, and to ensure a prompt response, our service network spans across the UK.
We have helped all kinds of companies stay safe – from commercial, food manufacturing and industrial companies, facilities managers to public sector organisations such as schools, universities, heritage sites and hospitals.
Tecserv has the knowledge and latest resources to provide a bespoke solution.
To get a head start with improving fire safety in your building, you can download our FREE Fire Safety Checklist.
If you would like help or advice with conducting Fire Risk Assessments correctly, please contact us or complete the enquiry form.